I began to
look at my anxiety as a pesky friend that would probably in some way, shape or
form always be in my life; however, it was now something that I could deal
with. I began to understand my anxiety.
That panicky feeling I described in my first two blogs, where I thought I was
going to toss my cookies at any moment, no longer consumed me. If I found myself heading in that direction I
would stop and breathe. Breath is one of
the most important things for obvious reasons.
When I felt anxiety creeping in the first thing I would do was stop and
breathe – long, slow, deep breaths. Then
I would remember my place of quiet comfort on the beach with the warm sun on my
back as I floated on the open water. Most
importantly I began to bring myself back to the present moment and focus on
where I was and what I was doing. That
helped to stop the panic.
I decided to
start looking at my anxiety as a strength and not a weakness. Many people might wonder how the heck I could
ever do that. Anxiety did cause me
negative emotion; however, it also shaped my character and helped me to be the
person that I am today. I mentioned in
my first blog that I wear my anxiety as a badge of honor. I now look back on my experience as one of
great courage and strength. I have
endured and overcome obstacles that many people may not have been able to. Now when I face a situation that may seem
unbearable, I remember all that I endured and how I overcame.
In life
there are times when you have to shift your perspective and look at things
through different eyes. I learned that
I had to embrace my anxiety disorder and accept it. This was one of the best ways to conquer
it. I had to accept the fact that the
panicky feelings could and probably would creep in.
Once I had
realized that an anxiety attack was not going to kill me, and I learned skills
to deal and overcome anxiety, I was able to do the things at one time I dreaded
doing. Essentially I got my life
back. No more fear in doing the simplest
of tasks, no more excuses that left me with nothing but regret and guilt. I learned that the old saying “there is nothing
to fear but fear itself” could not be truer.
Until next
time,
Andrea
I love this post! There is a dark and a light side to everything!
ReplyDeleteHi Andrea!!!. I loved your blog post. I'm glad that you have embraced your anxiety and see it as strength. It takes a lot of courage to talk about this. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Andrea!!!. I loved your blog post. I'm glad that you have embraced your anxiety and see it as strength. It takes a lot of courage to talk about this. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right!!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome post Andrea. Whatever the battle may be, it is always encouraging to see people tackle their battle head on and conquer it. Very inspiring. Best of luck in the future and much continued success.
ReplyDeleteHypnotherapy is something that has always been interesting to me. I have always wondered if it actually worked or if was some type of a placebo effect. By that I mean is it just effective because it is supposed to be and we tell ourselves that.
ReplyDeleteWe all have anxiety for different things and there's nothing wrong with being human. My anxiety tends to creep in when I have to stop. Living at a fast pace has become normal to me, unfortunately, and I find that I get very anxious when I have breaks. My wife gets mad at me because I'll start pacing the house without realizing it. I've learned to catch myself and to either go for a quick walk outside or to try to focus on one of my kids and whatever they are doing. Putting my focus on them helps me stop thinking about everything else. Kind of like you have that sunny, warm thought. I have my own warm place at home with my kiddos. Thanks for sharing and being so open and candid. It's always refreshing.
ReplyDelete